Tucker Center affiliated scholar Dr. Chelsey Thul and co-investigator Tucker Center associate director Dr. Nicole M. LaVoi, both faculty in the School of Kinesiology, today announced a fashion show featuring culturally appropriate active wear designed in collaboration with researchers in the College of Design and 25 East-African middle school girls from the Cedar-Riverside community, who will model the sport clothing.
The project represents a unique, interdisciplinary community-University team, including Dr. Elizabeth Bye, professor and department head of the Apparel Design Program, Fatimah Hussein, participants in Girls’ Initiative in Recreation and Leisurely Sports (G.I.R.L.S.) (a female-only culturally appropriate physical activity program), coaches Jennifer Weber and Muna Mohamed, community partners and the Tucker Center. Full information about the project is available at z.umn.edu/girlsresearch. The event takes place in Rapson Courtyard, at the School of Design’s Ralph Rapson Hall (89 Church St SE, Minneapolis) on the U of M’s Twin Cities campus on Wednesday, June 10, at 7 p.m. A press release is available.
- Fashion Forwards. CEHD Connect Magazine. August 11, 2015.
- Muslim Basketball Players Design Own Outfits And You Won’t Believe What Happens Next!. Patheos.com. August 3, 2015.
- Girls, Girls, Girls. SLAMonline.com. July 23, 2015.
- Fashion levels playing field for Muslim girls in sports. Winnepeg Sun. July 17, 2015.
- Muslim girls with a love for sports design “culturally appropriate uniforms” so they can play in comfort. Bella Naija. July 8, 2015.
- Minneapolis Muslim girls design their own modest sportswear. Yahoo!News.com. July 5, 2015.
- Minneapolis Muslim girls design their own modest sportswear (+video). Christian Science Monitor. July 5, 2015.
- Muslim girls design their own basketball uniforms, including velcro hijabs. Mashable. July 4, 2015.
- Minnesota girls design new sports uniforms that level playing field for Muslims. NYDailyNews.com. July 3, 2015.
- New Sports Uniforms Level the Playing Field for Muslim Girls. ABCnews.go.com. July 1, 2015.
- Muslim girls design new basketball uniforms to preserve their religious culture. World Religion News. June 27, 2015.
- Awesome Group of Muslim Girls Make B-Ball Uniforms That Match Their Faith. GOOD Magazine. June 13, 2015.
- US Muslim girls come up with Shariah-compliant uniform to play basketball. Pakistan Today. June 13, 2015.
- Muslim Girls Design Their Own Culturally Appropriate Basketball Uniforms. HuffingtonPost, June 11, 2015.
- Muslim Schoolgirls in Wisconsin Design News Sports Uniforms. NBC News. June 11.
- New Minnesota sports uniforms break barriers for Muslim girls. Northland News. June 10, 2015.
- New uniforms will help Muslim girls compete in sports. Fox9 News. June 10, 201
- Breaking barriers in basketball. MNDaily. June 10, 2015.
- Muslim girls design special sports uniform. USAToday.com. June 9, 2015.
- New sports uniforms break barriers for Muslim girls. KARE-11.com. June 9, 2015.
- New uniforms score points for modesty for Muslim girls. Star Tribune. June 8, 2015.